Project ICEBreaker to make hydrogen commercially viable for heavy goods trucks.
Intelligent Energy are working with Viritech, the leading developer of high-performance hydrogen powertrain solutions, and HORIBA MIRA, the leading European automotive engineering and testing consultancy, to develop a hydrogen powertrain solution suitable for a 44-tonne fuel cell electric vehicle.
The three companies, with funding from the Advanced Propulsion Centre, will develop lighter, more efficient hydrogen fuel cell heavy goods trucks with lower cost of ownership.
- Partnership aims to radically improve hydrogen powertrain efficiency to produce lighter, better zero-emissions 44-tonne HGVs
- Motive power from new lightweight, high power fuel cells with smaller batteries and intelligent energy management software to deliver mass parity with diesel powertrains
- Pioneering development of Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle HGV digital twin to advance competitive total cost of ownership for operators
- Proof of concept to be available to manufacturers and operators in late 2024
Applications for IE-DRIVE:
We are delighted to be working with Intelligent Energy on this important UK Government grant funded project, from which we expect to deliver a market leading, British engineered hydrogen powertrain solution, for the vitally important, global heavy transportation industry.”
– Timothy Lyons, CEO at Viritech Ltd.